December 9, 2019

Meet Kimberly Mayo, New Learning Specialist

By Contributing Author

On November 12, we welcomed our newest addition to our Student Success Center team, Kimberly Mayo.  Ms. Mayo’s primary assignment is to work with the College of Nursing.  As we all do, she will also have other duties as needed.  She has written a short introduction of herself, and we expect to see other contributions from her in the blog in the future.  Please welcome Ms. Mayo, and stop by our offices periodically to say “Hi” to any or all of us.  You never know when you might some tasty candy or other treat to enjoy.

Hello, I am Kim Mayo. I am so excited to begin this journey in the Student Success Center as a Learning Specialist. I look forward to working with students and faculty of the College of Nursing. I have been at UAMS for sixteen years. I have worked in patient education, telehealth, outreach, and provider continuing education.

I earned my Bachelor of Science in Health Education from the University of Central Arkansas.  While in college, I completed an internship here at UAMS. It did not take long to fall in love with all aspects of what makes up UAMS.  After my internship, I began my career at the Arkansas Department of Health as a Public Health Educator.  I enjoyed that role for a little over 2 years before the opportunity to return to UAMS presented itself. A couple of years into my career here at UAMS I completed a Master’s of Education in Adult Education from the University of Arkansas Little Rock. Working with adult learners is so rewarding. I am fascinated when they have that “light bulb” moment. I look forward to this new role and cannot wait to experience many light bulb moments with students.

I am married to my wonderful husband, Joseph, and we have one wonderful son. As a family, we enjoy exploring new areas of our state, hiking, bike riding, and family game nights. I enjoy traveling. I feel very blessed to have traveled all around the world. One of my travel highlights was seeing the Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an, China. If you are not familiar with it, please look it up. You will not be sorry.

Kim Mayo